- Specific unexpected shutdown scenarios on Intel® Optane™ version 16.0.x
- Cases where an update from Intel® Optane™ version 16.0.x to a higher version(16.5.x, 16.7.x) was performed without the recommended steps to disable and re-enable system acceleration with Intel® Optane™ Memory
- To determine if your system is running RST driver version 16.0.x, 16.5.x, or 16.7.x, and therefore possibly at risk, please follow guidance.
- If you determine that your system is running one of the noted versions, we recommend you update to the most current RST version 16.8.x as soon as possible.
- Please contact your system manufacturer directly to determine if an updated driver is available. Some specific system manufacturers have addressed this issue with Intel® RST version 16.7.8 or higher releases.
Intel has provided driver updates and guidance to system manufacturing partners and is working with them and other ecosystem partners to prioritize availability to end users via existing automated distribution methods as soon as possible.
Intel recommends that end users utilize driver updates provided by their system manufacturer/ provider or via Windows Update to eliminate the potential impact caused by loading non-customized drivers. System manufacturers regularly customize Intel generic drivers to meet the needs of their specific system design. In such cases, use of the Intel generic driver update is not recommended.
If your system manufacturer does not yet have an updated driver available and you do not want to wait for their specific driver package or an automated Windows Update, which may contain system configuration customizations, you can update to the generic RST driver through the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant tool.
Questions & Answers:
Click or the question for details:
Which system manufacturers are impacted?This potentially impacts systems that meet the following conditions regardless of manufacturer:
- They have the Intel® RST 16.0.x driver installed along with Intel® Optane™ memory
- They have been upgraded from RST 16.0.x to a higher version without following the recommended process (e.g. disable and re-enable system acceleration with Intel® Optane™ Memory)
What kinds of systems are impacted?Certain Intel® Optane™ memory enabled desktop systems, notebooks, and Xeon® E/E3 workstations with Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver v.16.0.x or platforms that were upgraded from 16.0.x to a higher version without following the required disable/re-enable steps are potentially impacted. Servers are not impacted.
You should check with system manufacturers for more details on specific products.
Is this a problem with Optane hardware?No. This is software driver issue.
What triggers the issue?The potential risk occurs in the following situations:
- Specific unexpected shutdown scenarios on affected systems, such as unexpected power failures or system resets; e.g. power button override on a hung system, a system crash without crash dump or hardware induced reset, or an AC power outage.
- Cases where an update from 16.0.x to a higher version was performed without the recommended steps to disable and re-enable system acceleration with Intel® Optane™ Memory.
What should consumers do if they think this issue has damaged their system (e.g. system crashes or won't boot) or caused them to lose personal data?Consumers should contact their system manufacturer for most customer support issues. Loss of data or other system problems may not be related to this issue.
For advanced technical end users who may want to verify their system integrity, please click here for step-by-step guidance.